Saturday, April 30, 2005

Ding Dong..Kellogg rings the bell

I know I have not been current with this blog as I wanted to but the application process and the demands of my final semester take up a lot of my time. However, I am here to share some "bad"news. I put bad in quotations because I do not see it as bad news..I see it as a hurdle to be crossed if not this year then in years to come. (I sound like a motivational speaker)

Well from the headline it is obvious that I received my first ding. Although Kellogg's notification date for Round 3 is May 2nd they decided to give some status updates early and I was a lucky recipient of an early status notification. I was casually looking through my email on Tuesday when I saw an email from Kellogg. I immediately said no it could not be..well yes it was. My heart began to beat so loudly that I was worried that the girl that was sitting next to me would hear it. Nevertheless, I visited the Kellogg site and the ding letter was there waiting for me.

What did the letter say?
I wish I could share it with you but it is "confidential and intended for the use of the individual...." so all I will say is that they gave me the 'It's not you, it's us' story. I don't know if everyone gets the same letter. I am curious about that. Anyway my letter emphasized that the decision is not a reflection of my merits or potential for success in management but a reflection of the limited number of places in the class :(.

O well..I will keep my hopes up for the other schools. I must admit that I was a little disappointed because Kellogg has a terrific general management program.
But everything happens for a reason and as I said it's not"bad"news..

O and another thing that I wanted to mention.....

I have been reading blogs and comments on forums and I have realized that some people feel that a ding is a terrible terrible thing. I don't know if my age has a lot to do with the way I see things, but a ding, IN MY OPINION, is something to learn from. Get feedback from the school(if they offer any) and apply this constructive feedback to your reapplication. In life and business, one has to be persistent and self motivated. You cannot allow one, two , or even five dings to stop you from acquiring a degree that you need to pursue your career goals. As a Trinidadian calypsonian once said, "You've got to try and try and try and try and tryyyyy until you succeed."

So thank you Kellogg for your response to my application and Congratulations to all the Round3 admits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Goddess said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement kita and congrats again on your admit.

Tanya said...

Good Luck with Wharton!! (and you never know about HBS's last-minute fancies :-))

Goddess said...

EMC .. you are right, the waiting period alone is nerve wrecking and it just gets worse as I count down the days..

Attagirl I hope they fancy me in the last minute because they have not been fancying me enough thus far :D

Jerry Blank said...

Hey! I just checked Harvard's online system. (I guess after the Apply Yourself fiasco, the school decided to just release their decisions as they were made instead of waiting for the notification date.) I got the big D-I-N-G. Couldn't care less, too. I hate Boston. I mean, I HATE BOSTON! So this works out perfectly. Anyway, just thought I'd encourage you to check it out. If you don't have an update, you're probably still in the running. Good luck!!!!

Goddess said...

Thanks for the info pupstar....j.b. I checked but I didnt have any messages yet .. i guess they wanted me to wait till the deadline to hear the sad news. Congrats on Yale!!! and the scholarship!!!